At the end of 2018, Waco Foundation's Board of Trustees adopted a new vision and values statement that formally established racial equity as one of the Foundation’s priorities.
Vision for Race Equity Initiative
Waco Foundation believes that racial inequity is a systemic problem that cannot be fully addressed through just a few programmatic and/or policy solutions. As such, any racial equity efforts in which the Foundation engages will likely extend beyond a single grant cycle or fiscal year. These efforts will require careful deliberation in order to determine what we, as a Foundation and community partner, have the ability to communicate, staff and support.
"To make Greater Waco a better place to live for all members of the community, and to help foster an environment in which a person’s race or ethnicity has no influence on how one fares in society."
- Source: Equity in the Center
Foundation staff are working to design and implement a framework to ensure that we apply a racial equity lens to all of the Foundation’s areas of work. As a learning organization, we acknowledge that we are still growing in our understanding of this work and the most effective ways to facilitate it.
Racial Equity Goals
- Improve the community’s capacity to have constructive conversations and continuous learning in regards to race;
- Build community understanding of racial inequity, including the role race plays in determining the quality of life challenges faced by local residents;
- Normalize racial equity as a shared value and encourage the adoption of a race equity lens by various sectors and institutions through which to view and address challenges faced by the community;
- Facilitate the development and implementation of strategies to help address racial inequities;
- Contribute to fostering a race equity culture both inside and outside our organization for the purpose of achieving the improved outcomes we seek for our community.
Waco Foundation is committed to advancing a thorough understanding of racism and will continuously strive to facilitate this vision in order to ensure improved quality of life for all.
Here to help
Contact Nicole Wynter, Senior Director of Community Investment and Operations